Mar 11 2010 10:44 pm

Posted by under EnvProblems

Mountain Top Removal

The more I listen to people speak about environmental issues, and the problems that they encounter in an effort to counteract these issues, the more I realize how important scientific education is for the general population. Without education, politicians and large corporations can sway voters any way they want, simply through their rhetoric. For example, this website,  http://www.mountaintopmining.com/ specifically states in the first paragraph that it’s intentions are to educate people about mountain top removal, and to “provide a viewpoint no readily portrayed in the press to clarify many misstatements… so that individuals themselves can examine for themselves can examine the various viewpoints  and arrive at their own conclusions”.

This entire first paragraph however, is a complete contradiction. Not only does this webiste completely fail to present both sides of the argument, but it does not present any real data for the reader to “arrive [to] their own conclusion”. Instead, words are twisted, and data is skewed to present mountain top removal in a good light. That fact that an average citizen could be interested in learning more about this topic and to come across this website as one of the first on “google” — is not good. 

Numbers and data never lie. And I believe that members of the scientific community should specifically work to simplify their findings, in an effort to educate the general population — so that the average person with a minimal scientific background, can draw their own conclusions. I think that if more efforts are made, people will begin to support the environmental movement, rather than simply relying on their congressman or woman (etc.) to make decisions for them. Education can be applied to every scientific problem, and I really do not see large accomplishments coming for environmental groups without the support of the people.

There are many myths about mountain top removal that are circulating (such as, mountain top removal increases jobs, rather than decreases) — however, it is quite clear once presented with factual data, that this is not the case. There are many more negative side-effects to mountain top removal than there are positive ones, and they should be made known. That way, coal and oil companies will not be able to use intimidation and false education tactics to misinform their consumers. There is no mistaking the fact that mountain top removal contributes greatly to pollution and in the reduction of biodiversity, as well as significant long-term reductions in economic growth. We need to focus on a green future, with sustainable energy extractions — and mountain top remval does not fall into this future.

3 Comments »

3 Responses to “Mountain Top Removal”

1. jveccia on 12 Mar 2010 at 12:53 pm #

I live on Long Island and they proposed a wind farm in the ocean by Jones beach. I love the ocean and the beautiful view of the endless ocean, the noise of the crashing waves, it’s so relaxing and beautiful. When I heard about this wind farm I was outraged they wanted to destroy my beautiful view of nature and put in these ugly looking wind turbines. Then I said that wind turbines are good but I just don’t want them in my neighborhood. What I realized is that you have to take what you can get, I would rather this wind turbines then factories polluting my water and beaches. The picture that you have above is really quite beautiful. I guess that on coal mountain a wind farm wouldn’t hinder it’s beauty but save it. Since mountaintop removal is destroying the beautiful mountains, the wind farm would save it.

2. Eric on 12 Mar 2010 at 1:58 pm #

Mountaintop removal mining is awful, but you might that it is more important to educate people a little bit on how awful it is, and a lot about what they can do to stop it.

3. Dr. Szulczewski on 22 Mar 2010 at 10:35 am #

I like your idea to let the real numbers do the talking- and not just various groups’ interpretations of those numbers.