Mar 11 2010 11:26 pm

Posted by under EnvProblems

Are Bloom Boxes Our Future?

I saw this special on 60 minutes on "bloom boxes", and was really fascinated. I think the idea of the "bloom box" is amazing, but I wonder if it can be simplified enough to make it marketable for the average consumer.

Bloom Box (part 1)

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/khK_QTWl5Nc" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

Bloom Box (part 2)

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/tEJhnvX36hc" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

Too Good To Be True?

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/dstqmciVuGQ" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

The ironic part of the 60 minute special I thought was that they believe the utility companies will buy the bloom boxes, rather than trying to crush the bloom boxes and wipe them off the market. I thought this was ironic because in many past examples (i.e the electric car, solar, wind, and natural gas), the coal and oil corporations have successfully forced these sustainable energy companies out of business, rather than working with them for a greener future. Maybe now the oil and coal corporations are coming to the realization that we must make a change benifiting the long-term, and that economic growth through unsustainable environmental practices, is no longer profitable.

5 Comments »

5 Responses to “Are Bloom Boxes Our Future?”

1. kbritt09 on 12 Mar 2010 at 8:23 pm #

I agree, I think that these companies are finally realizing that energy efficiency is the popular way to go and in order to keep making a profit, they have to give people what they want.

2. Amanda Boccuti on 13 Mar 2010 at 5:23 pm #

So, I have to admit. I’m anti-Holy Grail energy. I know that probably sounds crazy and it’s not that I don’t wish there was one universal solution out there to solve the world’s energy needs, but I don’t think HG energy exists. In fact, it’s our lack of energy diversity that causes most of our problems.

Think of it this way: for decades, CO2 was not a pollutant. It was only until so many people started using so many fossil fuels and producing so much CO2 that it became problematic. I’d argue that it’s not necessarily the energy source that’s the problem, but our use of it. One of the keys to sustainability is the focus on localized solutions for problems. That is, environmental problems don’t have one size fits all solutions. Each area has a different set of resources, lifestyle, financial capacity, etc. — all of which factor into the success or failure of an energy shift.

The bloom box definitely seems like it’s something that could help diversify our energy pool, but I hope that new innovations keep hitting the market. Energy choices are our strongest asset and I hope that the incentives are there to encourage that diversification.

3. E. Hay on 14 Mar 2010 at 1:11 pm #

While the product has promise, I find their claim of ‘clean energy’ misleading since the bloom box still uses fossil fuels. For that reason alone it may survive the oil industry’s strangle hold on green energy sources. Perhaps the bloom box, once installed, could become more of a transition than a solution- starting as a more efficient use of fossil fuels and becoming a segway into renewable resource use (since the technology is compatible with solar power).

~E. Hay

4. Katlyn Shiflett (umwvb1) on 14 Mar 2010 at 11:42 pm #

This is a very interesting 60 minutes! Your comments made me really think about and realize how powerful these oil and coal companies are and how they successfully forced the sustainable energy companies out of business, even when they’re only trying to help improve the environment. The Bloom Boxes can power anything from the richest companies or remote villages in Africa, the problem is the cost. Even if they are alot of money, I think that we should invest in these experiments because if we can find another energy source, then we can move in the direct to help save our environment. I really enjoyed watching!

5. Dr. Szulczewski on 22 Mar 2010 at 10:52 am #

Thank you so much for showing us this Bloom Box! I have heard lots of people talking about this “magic sand” without much understanding. Now I know more about it, but I am still dubious.
    Amanda is right that now in the 21st century we will not have one energy solution like we have for the past centuries (first, all wood, then all coal, then mostly oil). Humans are very innovative and we will have more and more ideas like this, if only we can get coal and oil companies not to sabotage but adapt!